Regulations for Competition 2019
ARTICLE 1: Eligibility
All films selected and invited for the Competition must meet the following conditions:
(1) Must be films completed after January 1st 2019.
(2) Should not have been screened at main competition section of "competitive feature film festivals (non-specialised)" accredited by FIAPF*1 prior to TIFF.
(3) Must have its Asian Premiere at TIFF. World and International Premieres are given priority. Japanese films must have its World Premiere.
* Films which are available on the Internet, TV (including IPTV) or In-Flight Movie or have been
commercially released on DVD, VOD or any other format are not eligible.
(4) Short films are not eligible. Must be feature films (including animation) running over 60 minutes.
(5) Documentary films are not eligible.
(6) Screening material should be in digital format (in high definition), with English subtitles.
These conditions may be subject to change.
*1 Please refer to FIAPF's official web site for the list of accredited Festivals:
ARTICLE 2: Prizes
TIFF will award the following prizes in accordance with the decision of the International Competition Jury who is obliged to award the following prizes:
-Tokyo Grand Prix
-Special Jury Prize
-Award for Best Director
-Award for Best Actress
-Award for Best Actor
-Award for Best Artistic Contribution(Photography, Sound, Art Direction, Music, Script etc.)
The cash prize is to be announced in June.
ARTICLE 3: Entry for Pre-Selection
(1) Entry Form
Those who are qualified according to the conditions of Article 1 hereinabove may apply to the Competition by filling in the entry form and submitting DVD screener or online screener. Entry Form must be submitted through Festival's website: http://www.tiff-jp.net.
(2) Entry Fee and Deadlines for Submissions
Early Bird April 19 to May 31 : Free
Regular June 1 to July 12 : ¥3,000 (JPY)
*Once submission fee is paid, it will not be refunded under any circumstances. Deadline for Submissions: July 12th, 2019
(3) Preview Screeners
(a) Online Screener : Fill in the online link through the entry form.
(b) DVD Shipping: DVDs should be sent to the following address Tokyo International Film Festival: Competition Section 15F Togeki Bldg., 4-1-1, Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 104-0045 JAPAN TEL: 81-3-6226-3011
Please write the following on the invoice: -Entry number -Film title -Customs declaration "NO COMMERCIAL VALUE, FOR CULTURAL PURPOSE ONLY" DVDs must be shipped prepaid, insured and packed in proper containers and received by TIFF no later than July 12th, 2019.
The materials submitted to the Festival will not be returned. *Please note in advance, that in case your film includes images which are in contravention to the Japanese law, the DVD may not be accepted by the Japanese customs, in which case, the DVD will bereturned back to the sender.
The result of Pre-Selection will be notified via e-mail by mid-September 2019.
(5) Submission Agreement
Person responsible for the submission must agree with the below:
(a) Cannot withdraw their entry once they have signed the Agreement Form for the official selection.
(b) Shall give careful attention to a third party (ex. Japanese distributor) who might interfere with this agreement.
ARTICLE 4:Selected Films
(1) Required Materials
Participants whose films have been selected are required to send the following materials to TIFF.
(a) Entry Sheet (provided by TIFF, for all necessary information regarding the selected film) - TO BE FILLED-OUT AND RETURNED TO TIFF AS SOON AS POSSIBLE upon acceptance of the Invitation.
(b) Dialogue lists in original-language and English Subtitle List for Japanese subtitles
(c) Digital Photo Data (*350dpi, jpg format): main photo of the film, sub cuts of the film, and the director photo
(d) 2 DVD screeners with English subtitle *for Japanese subtitling, online library, internal use.
(e) Trailer and Excerpts of the film in mov file (Quicktime)
(f) English Press Kit for Japan Content Showcase (TIFFCOM market).
(g) 5 printed posters and poster in data file (high resolution, B1 size) Materials a-d listed above must reach the address on ARTICLE 3), by the designated deadlines. The shipping fees for the above materials must be borne by participants.
(2) Screening Materials and Subtitles
English subtitled DCP (KDM Free / 24 fps) should reach the address on ARTICLE 3), by September 13th
* For all English dialogue film, subtitles are unnecessary.
* Please book the DCP for us from the date of arrival to the end of the festival, Nov 5th. for Japanese subtitling, technical tests and festival screenings.
All films will be screened in the original-language version with both English and Japanese subtitles, except for films in English version, which will be shown with Japanese subtitles only.